Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wedding Day Makeup: Should I DIY? Or Go The Professional Route?

I read an interesting tidbit on the royal wedding yesterday: rumor has it that Kate Middleton is doing her own wedding day makeup!

I don't know if I'm as brave as Kate. I may go the professional route, if only because it would be less expensive than stocking up on the makeup I'd need be photo-ready on the big day.

The only reason I'm considering the DIY route is because I'm SUPER picky about my makeup. I want it to be natural but still dramatic, polished but not thick and "cakey." The look I'm going for is something like this:

The stunning Ms. Wilde, via Glamour.com.

I love everything about this look: the contouring of her cheeks (even though she doesn't need it), the matte but fresh-looking skin, the nude lips, the smoky shading around the eyes, even the false lashes. It's dramatic enough to have that "wow" factor, but it doesn't look overwhelming or completely unnatural.

If I do my own makeup, there's a few products I'll just have to have. These are the ones I swear by when I want to look my best:

Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer, $32, via smashbox.com

I don't use primer on a daily basis, but I try to keep it on hand for special occasions. Seriously, this stuff is worth its weight in gold! It's a light serum that makes your skin feel like silk. Your makeup (not only your foundation, but also blush, bronzer, and powder) will glide on evenly and will last all day long, promise!

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, $19, via makeupandbeautyblog.com

A dab of Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer will keep your eye makeup in place until you remove it. Your shadow won't crease, your liner won't slide off, and your mascara won't smudge. Plus, it makes the color of your eyeshadow look more rich and vibrant.

Mac Eye Shadow in Knight Divine, $14.50, via  maccosmetics.com

In my opinion, MAC makes the best eye shadow, hands down. I use the "Carbon" shade to line my eyes everyday, so I'd combine "Carbon" with "Knight Divine" for a not-too-vampish smoky eye.

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Facial Moisturizer, $3.99, via Buy.com

This moisturizer helps even out my complexion and gives a little bit of summer color. I recommend using it once or twice daily for two weeks leading up to your wedding. A word of warning: if you over use it, the color will come off on your wash cloth, towel, pillow case, etc.

Also, DON'T use sunscreen or lotion with SPF (like the one above) on your wedding day! I can't stress this enough! The flash from a camera will reflect off the SPF and you'll look positively ghostly in your photographs.

Are you doing your wedding day makeup? What are your must-have products for your big day (or even a night out)?

No comments:

Post a Comment