Sunday, March 27, 2011

In Which I Buy A Fabulous Dress And Subsequently Have A Panic Attack

A few days ago, I told you a little about my Adventures in Wedding Dress Shopping. I was hunting for the perfect dress, and I was adamant that I would find one that fits my criteria: it had to be relatively "danceable" dress; white, NOT ivory; a slim-fitting silhouette; not lace but not too modern; and most importantly, a unique and glamorous style that made me feel great.

So how'd I do? Why, it's so nice of you to ask!


Dearest Fiancé, GO AWAY NOW! I mean it!!
Or you'll lose all back rub privileges for AT LEAST a year! 


Fairly well, in fact. My dress is ivory and has TONS of beading, which is not what I pictured. But the silhouette is a slim-fitting, flattering mermaid; the fabric and boning is not heavy, which means I will dance the night away in it; and it makes me feel incredible.

Ta-da! And yes, I talk with my hands and make weird faces when I get excited about
wedding dresses. In my defense, my mother caught me mid-sentence when she took this photo.

The dress is Mori Lee 2512, and I adore it! You can't quite see it in this photo, but in person the intricate beading sparkles like crazy! And the lightweight satin has a gorgeous sheen.

I tried on many different necklines (halter, straight across, deep V, allusion). The
sweetheart shape was by far the most flattering.

The detail really is exquisite! And I just love how the silver and crystal beading gives an otherwise modern silhouette a vintage twist.

It's pretty clear now that I love my dress. The day I bought it, I was sure I loved it, though it wasn't quite what I imagined I would buy. (Think more 1930's silken sheath than elaborate beading with a sweetheart neckline.)

But the day after I bought it... That's a whole different story. In short, I freaked. I had that OMG-I'VE-JUST-MADE-A-HUGE-EFFING-MISTAKE feeling in the pit of my stomach. I cried more than a little even though I'm not a teary-eyed person. My parents, who paid for the dress, offered to call up the salon and cancel the sale before the consultant placed the order. But I told them to wait because I was just very, very confused about how I felt.

Did I genuinely dislike the dress? Was I disappointed because it wasn't what I pictured wearing on my wedding day? Was it too traditional? Too vintage-inspired? Too modern? Was I second guessing myself when I should trust the instinct that told me to buy the dress? Was I worried that I had been talked into a dress that everyone else liked but that I didn't? Was I just panicking because my family and I had spent an ungodly amount of $$ on a piece of clothing I'm going to wear on "most important day of my life"?

I tried to put all these thoughts out of my head. I got a good night's sleep. I didn't think about it for a few days, and you know what? The feelings subsided. Now I can't wait to wear my dress! I'm so excited for my fiancé to see me in it on our day! 

In short, I was so worried that I would choose the wrong dress that I made myself think I chose the wrong dress! Sometimes we brides put so much pressure on ourselves to find the perfect dress (or centerpieces, or venue, or bridesmaids dresses, or favors, or cake topper) that it can take all the joy out of the planning process.

We have the entire wedding industry complex telling us that it's not enough to pick a pretty gown--we have to find "The One." We have our mothers, aunts, and grandmothers who have always dreamed of this day and want us to be quintessential blushing brides when we walk down the aisle. We have all those guests, who expect us to look more beautiful than we have ever looked before. (Gee, no pressure there! Now excuse me while I go whiten my teeth, do 800 crunches, and deep condition my hair.)

The moral of the story? If you freak out over your dress, it's okay. You're perfectly normal, like me, like Miss Lox over at Wedding Bee, like loads of women who write to East Side Bride because they have mixed feelings about their dresses. No matter what, you will be beautiful on your wedding day. So just take a deep breath and let a few days pass while you sort out your thoughts and feelings.

What was your dress shopping experience like, dear readers? Were you happy with your choice? Or did you flip out like I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment