Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Shopping For Wedding Vendors: A Few Ways I'm Keeping My Sanity

by Samantha, via Wikimedia Commons

How many wedding photogs are there in Chicago? Only a gazillion or so. How many DJs and bands for hire? Way more than I can count. And reception venues? Don't even get me started.

The metropolitan area of Chicago has, quite literally, thousands of talented and professional vendors who are happy to provide their services at your wedding. Unfortunately, it's your job to sort those vendors to find the ones who are perfect for your budget and style.

Now I'm a persnickety person with an obsessive streak and control issues, so my natural inclination is to spend hours slogging through lists of bakeries, photographers, and officiants. But as I found out rather quickly, it can be time-consuming and overwhelming. I had to figure out ways to shorten the search so here's what I've done so far:

1. Ask your friends. Browse your friends' wedding albums and ask which of their vendors went above and beyond on the big day. Some of them may even have personal connections with vendors (which may translate into discounts!). One of my married friends sent me a link to her online album and the name of her photographer. If she says her photographer was great, then I definitely want to check him out!

2. Narrow your search based on location. If you choose a bakery or florist a few miles from your reception site, they may be willing to waive any delivery fees since the distance is negligible. At the very least, you may be able to negotiate lower fees. And if you choose a photographer who has previously shot weddings at your venue, he may be familiar with the layout, the lighting, and the best spots for portraits. That kind of knowledge will translate into better photos and a better album after the event.

3. Select a few large resource websites to search for vendors. Pick two or three that you like, preferably the ones you find easiest to navigate. You've already tried The Knot, right? I also like Wedding WireMy Chicago WeddingChicago Bridal, and Chicago Style Weddings. Don't try to wade through every vendor catalog on the internet. You will go mad and start pulling your hair out. And you don't want to be a bald, crazy bride, now do you?

4. Throw in the towel and hire a wedding planner. I haven't gotten to this point yet, but I can see why some brides consider their planners a must-have. An event planner has been to a million weddings, dinners, and galas. She can recommend vendors she trusts and can sometimes negotiate lower rates. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

How are you searching for and choosing vendors for your wedding? Can you recommend any vendors or websites for me to check out?

No comments:

Post a Comment