Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This Will Be A (Gluten-Free) Cakewalk: Planning A Wedding With Food Allergies

So delish! I'm craving a piece of chocolate cake right now! (Via Style Me Pretty)

First, I should give a shout-out to Chelsea Clinton, who made life a tiny bit easier for gluten-free brides when she planned a gluten-free wedding of her own. Like Chelsea, I have a gluten intolerance. Fortunately I chose a venue well accustomed to catering gluten-free events. The venue consultant assured me that they prepare gluten-free dishes quite frequently and that she would work with me to draw up a dinner menu sans gluten. The cake, however, is a different matter.

Since I cut gluten out of my diet over a year ago, I have a new appreciation for piece of sweet, decadent cake. And if there's one day I want to enjoy an edible slice of heaven, it's my wedding day. Because gluten-free bakeries are harder to come by, I have several options. This could be a difficult choice!

1. I could go full monty and shell out for a big, fancy gluten-free cake. The upside is I could eat as much of it as I want. After all, it's my wedding! I want be able to eat the effing cake! But, and this is a huge downside, a large gluten-free cake will probably come with a big price tag.

Based on a some quick research, I'd estimate that a full-size sheet cake will cost around $150-$200. A regular tiered wedding cake will usually set you back at least $500, so a gluten-free tiered cake will very likely cost upwards of $700 or $800 (gluten-free flours and mixes are often double the cost of regular white flour). There are some aspects of the wedding I'm willing to pay big bucks for, but $800 for flipping cake? That's highway robbery!

2. I could serve regular cake and a gluten-free groom's cake. The added bonus here is that the groom's cake would be virtually free! My own dear mother is a fabulous baker and cake decorator. I don't want to saddle her with the job of making my main wedding cake. She's done it before for other people, and it seriously stresses and exhausts her. And she'll have plenty of other things to do to prepare for the big day. But a groom's cake, a smaller and easier creation, is something she could manage just fine. Still, I'll be a little sad when I have to cut into that beautiful cake and can't have a piece for myself.

3. I could serve a different dessert altogether. I'd need to talk my mother into this. Traditionalist that she is, she thinks our reception will be seriously lacking without a "real" wedding cake. But the brilliant bakers at Swirlz Cupcakes in Lincoln Park make the most yummy gluten-free cupcakes you can imagine. And Nitro Dessert Station offers a mobile ice cream maker, which means you can have fresh, homemade ice cream served at your reception. (I sampled their ice cream at a bridal expo. It was seriously scrumptious!)

What should I do? Should I spring for a gluten-free or should I go with a more creative option? Do you or any of your guests have food allergies? Will you plan a customized menu for your reception?

No comments:

Post a Comment